While clearing your mind before sleep may seem like a difficult task, Dr. Andrew Weil recommends a simple breathing technique to help you relax. He points to the 4-7-8 breathing technique as a natural sleep remedy for the nights when sleep seems to elude you. Below, we’ll discuss exactly how to do this breathing exercise.
- First, make sure you have the right posture to allow for deep breathing. (Sit up straight, relax your shoulders, etc)
- Place the tip of your tongue on the roof of your mouth behind your front teeth. Keep it there throughout the exercise, even as you exhale.
- Exhale completely.
- Inhale through your nose to a count of four.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven.
- Exhale through your mouth to a count of eight.
- Then, complete the sequence three more times.
It might take a few nights of practice for this to work, but the key is consistency. You might have trouble concentrating on doing the exercise at first, but just remember to set aside some time before bed so that you can focus on nothing but breathing.
So, why does this technique work so well, you ask? We have three main reasons. Firstly, it allows you to slow your breathing, which automatically makes you feel more relaxed. Secondly, you will have more oxygen coursing through your body by taking deeper breaths. Thirdly, concentrating on solely your breathing will teach you mindfulness, which many scientists have proven to reduce stress, anxiety, and racing thoughts.
Maybe we’ve forgotten how to sleep because we’ve forgotten how to breathe, but by practicing this breathing exercise, you’ll fall asleep quicker and have a more restful sleep.
Source: Power of Positivity
Ad ==> A Former One Minute Man Who Now Last 30mins In Bed Reveals The Secret Of His New Strength