Fire guts Akatsi College dormitory

General News of Saturday, 18 February 2017

Source: classfmonline.com

2017-02-18

Akatsi FireFire has destroyed one of the dormitories of the Akatsi College of Education

One of the dormitories of the Akatsi College of Education in the Volta Region has caught fire, resulting in loss of property running into thousands of Ghana cedis.

The incident, which occurred Saturday afternoon, affected parts of the girls’ dormitory. Personnel from the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) were frantically making efforts to douse the inferno of Saturday, February 18 at the time of the report.

The cause of the fire and extent of damage is not immediately known but the firemen who were seen busy in action were making every effort to prevent the fire from spreading to other buildings on the campus.

“It was about some thirty minutes past 12 when we heard that our dormitory was burning so we ran to the scene. The fire service to the best of my knowledge tried but was not successful and now the water has finished and one tender has left to get water for about thirty minute now and not yet back.

It is unfortunate, one lady told me she has lost her GHS 1500 to the fire and another said her phone was in the room. Some have been crying and one girl even collapsed upon hearing the news of the fire,” a student narrated to Class FM’s Volta Regional Correspondent Emmanuel Atukpa on condition of anonymity.

Authorities are however tight-lipped over the incident and students have been cautioned not to talk to the media.

Comments