Joy News can confirm that the 60th Anniversary planning Committee has resolved to forfeit all allowances and remuneration following public concern that the national celebration will be a burden on a struggling economy.
“The service to be rendered by the committee members will be strictly on a pro bono basis,” a statement signed by Chair of the Committee, Ken Amankwa, said.
President Nana Akufo-Addo put together the Committee last week to mark the 60th Anniversary of Ghana’s independence from British colonial rule in 1957.
The announcement of the Committee received a backlash on social media following the fiasco that characterised the Ghana @50 celebration under the John Kufuor administration.
Critics also believe the celebration, which will be climaxed on Independence Day, March 6, 2017, is unnecessary since there is more work to be done to turn the fortunes of the nation around than to waste resources celebrating.
Read below the full statement on the resolution by members of the Committee not receive any payment for their work
FORFEITURE OF ALLOWANCE(S) BY MEMBERS OF THE 60TH INDEPENDENCE ANNIVERSARY PLANNING COMMITTEE
The 60th Independence Anniversary Planning committee held its maiden meeting on Saturday, the 28th of January, 2017.
At the said meeting, members resolved to forfeit any and all allowance(s) and/or remuneration which may be due them.
The service to be rendered by the committee members will be strictly on a pro bono basis.
This decision was largely motivated by H.E the President’s attitude towards public service, that is to say, selfless service to one’s homeland. Further, we are determined to religiously be guided by H.E. the President’s directive for members to be mindful of the difficult financial and economic circumstances of our country, regarding our 60th anniversary commemoration.
We continue to count on the support and prayers of all Ghanaians in this endeavour.
Thank you and may God continue to bless our homeland.
(CHAIRMAN, 60TH INDEPENDENCE ANNIVERSARY PLANNING COMMITTEE)