Ahead of the Black Stars’ 2017 Africa Cup of Nations opener against the cranes of Uganda, here are five facts about the two Group D teams.
- The last time the Black Stars played Gabon in the Africa Cup of Nations was in the 1978 final where hosts Ghana won 2-0.
- They however clashed in the 2018 World Cup qualifier just three months ago with Uganda forcing a surprise goalless match day 1 draw in Ghana.
- Ghana has won the Africa Cup of Nations on four occasions, 1963, 1978, 1965 and 1982.The closest Uganda has come to Cup of Nations glory was in 1978 by finishing runners-up.
- The Black Stars of Ghana are ranked ninth in Africa and 54th in the world while the Cranes of Uganda are 18th in Africa and 73rd in the world.
- Both teams have foreign coaches with Israeli Avram Grant, the former Chelsea and West Ham manager, coaching Ghana and Serb Milutin ‘Micho’ Sredojevic handling Uganda.
By: Rahman Osman/citifmonline.com/Ghana