We are ready to leave AngloGold’s Obuasi site – Illegal miners

Illegal miners who have occupied AngloGold Ashanti’s Obuasi Mine concession have told Citi Business News they are ready to comply with government’s directive to vacate the mine and move to the new allocated site on November 16th.

According to the PRO of the Ghana National Association of Small Scale Miners, Francis Opoku, which is representing the illegal miners, there was a misunderstanding between them and government which led to the earlier demonstration by the illegal miners.

“There was a little problem. All this while, there had been some high level of compliance. The miners followed all instructions given them until a point where there was a misunderstanding which created the violence recently at Obuasi. So they have been complying.” he said.

The illegal miners’ last Wednesday staged a demonstration which led to the destruction of properties belonging to the New Patriotic Party, National Democratic Congress and Progressive People’s Party.

Their refusal to vacate the mine earlier as well as the demonstration also led to a revision of the modalities and an extension of the date to November 16, 2016 which was initially November 5th.

Mr Opoku however believes the artisanal miners could have handled it better if they exercised a little bit of patience.

“That notwithstanding, the artisanal miners should have exercised patience.”

Speaking to Citi Business News, Francis Opoku said the illegal miners are ready to heed government’s order to relocate.

“There are about four places that have been demarcated for them. This time round all the parties have committed themselves to the roadmap, especially the artisanal miners.

They have given their word that they are no longer going to go on demonstrations. Rather, they are going to abide by the terms of the roadmap.” he concluded.

We will flush out all ‘galamseyers’ at AngloGold Obuasi mine – MCE

Government agencies mandated to evacuate the illegal miners occupying the Obuasi concession of AngloGold Ashanti, expressed optimism they will accomplish their task by the new date scheduled.

It follows the review of the deadline date for eviction after the illegal miners resisted the initial attempts by the moving committee to get them out of the site.

The Municipal Chief Executive for Obuasi, Richard Ofori Agyemang Boadi explained to Citi Business News he is confident all the miners will be ejected by the said date.

“I do not think that if we are supposed to work with the road map, we should have any difficulty at the end of the period, because per the time table, we are taking them in groups and phases,”, he said.

By: Jessica Ayorkor Aryee/citibusinessnews.com/Ghana

Comments