The Progressive People’s Party (PPP) has launched an online petition to collect one million signatures from Ghanaians to compel the Electoral Commission to reinstate the party’s Flagbearer, Dr Papa Kwesi Nduom as one of the presidential candidates in the 2016 elections.
The PPP Flagbearer was disqualified by the Electoral Commission last week after it noted that his nomination forms were not properly completed.
Following the announcement of his disqualification, the party has taken various steps including suing the Commission in court to ensure the candidate is instated in the Presidential race.
PPP’s Director of Communications told Citi News, the petition is in response to the numerous calls from Ghanaians across the country to have Nduom in the presidential race.
He said most of the complaints received by the party indicated Ghanaians were not comfortable with the EC’s decision.
“A lot of Ghanaians have faith in Dr Nduom and they believe he is the right man for the job and as a result of that they are uncomfortable by the decision of the EC to disqualify Dr Nduom for the race,” he said.
He said the party have received calls from Ghanaians in and outside the country asking to make a statement against the EC’s decision.
“We have been forced by our sympathizers and supporters to provide this opportunity for them so they make their statement.”
He said the petition which was opened on Sunday will be presented to the Electoral Commission (EC) after they receive at least a million signatures.
Titled “Petition by Ghanaians Eligible to Vote to Demand that the Electoral Commission Accepts the Nomination Papers of Dr. Papa Kwesi Nduom,” the petition has gathered 680 signatures at press time on the party’s website.
‘PPP sues EC; seeks injunction on balloting of candidates’
The Progressive People’s Party (PPP), last Friday sued the Electoral Commission of Ghana (EC), at the High Court over the decision to disqualify it’s presidential aspirant, Dr. Papa Kwesi Nduom, from the December 7 presidential election.
The PPP among other things is seeking “an order of prohibition to restrain the EC from proceeding with balloting for position of presidential candidates for the 7th December elections.”
By: Jonas Nyabor/citifmonline.com/Ghana