Entertainment of Sunday, 16 October 2016
Most times, we hear people talk abut the benefits of dandelion roots and leaves but we don’t pay heed to it. Some of us have seen it growing in ours or our neighbor’s garden, but we see it as just another weed despite the talks about it benefits to our health.
But I can tell you as a fact that the plant can help you live 5 years longer if you will pay more attention to the talks and start using it, as many people who use it have testified to its usefulness.
Dandelion is rich in Vitamin B, organic sodium, iron, calcium Vitamin A and C, fiber, trace minerals, organic sodium and vitamin D too, which helps fight many sicknesses and skin diseases. You can add it to your smoothie, your salad or even make tea with it, whenever you want to use it.
So before you go cutting away the ones in your garden, here are 7 health benefits of dandelion leaves and roots you should know.
1. Liver disorders Dandelion helps the liver in many ways. It removes toxins, aids in the proper flow of piles, re-establish hydration and promotes digestion. The vitamin C and Luteolin in dandelions are said to protect the liver from aging.
2. Kidney problems Dandelion is said to be diuretic in nature thereby, helps clear out excess water, waste, salt and other toxic substances from the liver by increasing urine production and helps the urinary system too. The diuretic in dandelion is said to be so high that in France, the flowers is called “Pissenlit”, which simply means “urinate in bed”.
3. Cancer Dandelion is said to have proven study after study to having the ability to combat cancer when most medicines have shown no result. Because the leaves are high in antioxidants (Vitamin C and Luteolin), it reduces the main cancer-causing agents, thereby reducing the risk of cancer. The Luteolin is said to poison the essential components of the cancer cells, making them ineffective and unable to reproduce.
4. Skin problems The dandelion milk is or the dandelion sap is highly alkaline and is said to have fungicidal, germicidal and insecticidal properties which are very effective in treating skin problems such as ringworm, itchy rash, eczema, and other skin infections, and it causes no side effects.
5. Diabetes Because of the diuretic nature of dandelion, it increases the urination in diabetic patients thereby removing the excess sugar from their body. Dandelion juice also lowers their sugar level since it is a bit bitter and dandelion extracts also help prevent dangerous spikes and plunges for diabetic patients because of its production of insulin.
6. High blood pressure Because urination is an effective way to reduce blood pressure, the dandelion is a perfect solution due to its diuretic nature which increases urination. The fiber and potassium in dandelion also help regulate blood pressure.
7. Anaemia The vitamin B, iron and protein content in dandelions are said to be essentials for the formation of red blood cells and other blood components which, therefore, help the condition of people with anemia. So we hope this will be enough reason for you to make use of dandelion so that you can stay healthy and live longer. If you have other benefits, feel free to share.