Over 100 branch executives members of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) in the Chiana-Paga constituency of the Upper East Region, have appealed to President John Mahama and the leadership of the NDC, to as a matter of urgency fix a date for their parliamentary primary.
The primary in the Chiana-Paga Constituency was postponed last year, creating tension in the area.
The constituency executives have warned that any further delays could lead to a possible clash between supporters of the incumbent Member of Parliament Abuga Pele and his contenders.
Mr. Abuga Pele, the incumbent MP, is currently standing trial for allegedly causing financial loss to the state, hence the call by some youth for him to be replaced although that is unconstitutional since he remains a legitimate MP, and cannot be replaced until found guilty by the court.
Meanwhile NDC constituency executives in the area, have rubbished the calls being made by the youth, saying they are doing the bidding of one the aspirants, Rudolf Amenga-Etego.
In a press statement they said, “We categorically wish to refute the allegation in the petition addressed by the so called concerned youth of the constituency by emphasizing that the content of the petition is as misleading as it is false. And the authors of the petition do not represent any concerned youth of the constituency but are just doing the biding of one the aspirants Rudolf Amenga-Etego.”
Their statement also calls for back ground checks to be done on the Rudolf Amenga-Etego who the allege has had some shady dealings with ISODEC Ghana and an NGO called The Grass Root Africa.
Find below their full statement
PRESS STATEMENT: URGENT NEED TO FIX DATE FOR PRIMARY OF CHIANA-PAGA CONSTITUENCY
We the undersigned, representing one hundred and eight (108) brand executives out of the one hundred and seventeen (117) NDC party branches executive’s members of chiana paga constituency wish to appeal to the leader of the party (the president of the republic of Ghana) his Excellency John Dramani Mahama and National executives, and all meaning members of the party to state as follows:
- We categorically wish to refute the allegation in the petition addressed by the so called concerned youth of the constituency by emphasizing that the content of the petition is as misleading as it is false. And the authors of the petition do not represent any concerned youth of the constituency but are just doing the biding of one the aspirants Rudolf Amenga-Etego. Worse still, two of the signatories to the petition- Thomas Jumah and Apuri Nichodemus do not even reside in the constituency. Infect they are not even known in the constituency as far as party activities are concerned.
- In comparison with the incumbent member of parliament, let us do background checks on the dealings of Rudolf with ISODEC Ghana and The Grass Root Africa (an NGO) and we would appreciate who has the moral integrity or as the suppose youth representatives put moral high grounds to contest the election to represent the people in the constituency.
- In 2008, Rudolf lost in the party primaries and flouted the parties constitution and impunity and stood as independent candidate in the current parliamentary primaries, Rudolf again failed to file on the deadline but later filed in the regional level the following day with incomplete payment (GH 97,700.00) which is a gross violation of the parties constituency and should have been disqualified outright, but that never happened.
- Hon. Abuga pele is an Affordable, trustworthy, and hard working person who can be relied upon to lead the party to victory in the 2016 election. He is people oriented and has always worked in the supreme interest of the people of the constituency. His loyalty and sense of commitment cannot be questioned since 1992. The incumbent Member of Parliament has worked devotedly and made personal contribution to ensure that NDC is deeply rooted in the constituency.
- The constituents of the constituency trust and respect the incumbent Member of Parliament and believe in honesty and selflessness and his unreserved commitment to the NDC party. And we believe that the court would eventually vindicate him.
- The argument by the three petitioners that the incumbent Member of Parliament has lost touch with the electorates and stands no chance of winning the parliamentary elections lacks merit as attested to by signatories of the various polling stations executive of the constituency to this petition. There is the need for the petitioners to be educated to know that the Electoral College has been expanded to involve all card bearing members of the party in the election process: so if the incumbent is popular and can win the primaries we cannot doubt his ability to win the November presidential and parliamentary election. The 2012 parliamentary and presidential election result can attest to the fact that, the incumbent Member of Parliament is still in touch with the grass roots.
In conclusion we wish to entreat the leader of the party as well as national executives committee to as a matter of urgency fix a date for the primaries to be held to avert further media warfare.
Spokesperson, Hon. Anthony Togyiga
By Fred Awuni/citifmonline.com/Ghana