Tanko Charged With Murder For Bunkpurugu Killings

Suspect Tetteh Tanko

Tetteh Tanko, 28, who was arrested by the police in connection with renewed clashes that erupted in the Bunkpurugu-Yunyoo District of the Northern Region, has been charged with murder.

Speaking to DAILY GUIDE, the Northern Regional Police spokesperson, ASP Ebenezer Tetteh, said that the suspect was charged upon advice from the Attorney General’s Department.

He allegedly murdered one Baba during the skirmishes and fled to Togo in April last year after committing the act.

It would be recalled that Tetteh Tanko, a notorious criminal, was arrested by the police in connection with fresh clashes in the Bunkpurugu-Yunyoo District in the Northern Region between Jamon and Jafouk clans over the legitimate occupant of the skin in the area.

ASP Ebenezer Tetteh, who confirmed the arrest, told DAILY GUIDE that the accused person was arrested in Bunkpurugu upon a tip-off on Saturday evening, adding that he had been on the police wanted list for the murder of one Baba.

He is also said to have murdered one Suapaak Dupaak, 58, a farmer during last Thursday’s clashes.

Currently, the suspect is being interrogated by the police in Tamale and investigations will continue.

The police are on the heels of other suspects, who are alleged to have played an active role in the clashes.

It would be recalled that residents fled the town with their families during the clashes.


On Thursday there were reports of gunshots in the town and the burning of several houses.

Three people—Chanleb Bawaand, Suapaak Dupaak and a third unidentified person—reportedly died in the renewed clashes.

Chanleb Bawaand, 28, a tailor, was hit in the forehead by a bullet and Suapaak Dupaak, 58, was trapped in one of the burning houses while the third person was found dead in the bush.

The Northern Regional Police Public Relations Officer (PRO) said 35 houses had been burnt down.

He stated that the police retrieved two AK47 rifles based on intelligence and that the owners of the weapons were still on the run.

DAILY GUIDE’s visit to the town revealed that most of the natives had indeed fled the town, virtually making it a ghost town.

According to ASP Ebenezer Tetteh, reinforcement was deployed to Bunkpurugu from nearby districts and security had been boosted at some locations in the town.


From Eric Kombat, Tamale