The Ghana Health Service has revealed that eight more people have died as a result of the outbreak of meningitis in some parts of the country.
This brings the death toll to 93 with 548 suspected cases in all nine affected regions in the country.
On February 5, 2016, the Health Ministry announced that the death toll had reached 85 and that 456 cases had been recorded.
However the Director of the Ghana Health Service Dr Appiah Denkyira, at a press conference on Monday said the figures have gone up significantly.
“There have been increased reports of meningitis due to streptococcus pneumonia. As at February 13 2016, cumulatively, 548 suspected meningitis cases including 93 deaths have been reported across the country so the death rate is now 16.9%.”
According to the Service, Brong Ahafo Region remain the most active region still reporting cases.
However, the other regions have not experienced any sporadic suspected cases so far.
“As at February 10, Ashanti Region has recorded 18 cases with 8 deaths. Brong Ahafo, 359 cases with 52 deaths, Greater Accra, 5 cases with 2 deaths, Eastern region has recorded 4 cases 3 deaths, Western region, 2 cases one death, Volta region, 7 cases one death, Northern region, 52 cases with 15 deaths, Upper East, 47 cases 2 deaths and Upper West recorded 44 cases with 9 deaths.” Central region remain unaffected.
The Ghana health Service said so far it has intensified its monitoring of affected communities and providing antibiotics to the affected patients.
“We have undertaken field investigations into these high reported cases and the predominant causative agents have been identified to be pneumococus and that can be treated with antibiotics. Effective antibiotics are being used to manage the cases. Funding and other equipment have been provided to ensure that the disease is controlled.”
By: Farida Shaibu/citifmonline.com/Ghana