After school block razed down by fire
A three-year-old school boy of Pepra-Agyeman Capital School at Abesim near Sunyani in the Brong-Ahafo Region, has lost his life in a fire outbreak that raged through the school last Friday afternoon.
The boy lost his life in a stampede when the school children spotted smoke coming from one of the ceilings of the classrooms and started running for their lives. The little boy was rushed to a hospital but could not make it. It was also alleged that the owner of the school, Peprah Yaw Agyemang popularly called Capital, fell unconscious and died later after hearing the news.
The source of the blaze (behind the school)
The fire was suspected to have come from a cemetery behind the school. The cemetery was on Thursday engulfed in a blaze and the Sunyani Municipal Fire Service personnel came to put it out, but it was suspected that it did not completely go off and the ember might have sparked the fire in the school.
The proprietress, Patricia Peprah-Agyeman, told DAILY GUIDE that on Friday at about 1pm when the children were in the classroom they saw smoke coming out of one of the ceilings of the building and so the children were quickly pulled out and tried to move out other items to safety. They summoned the help of the Fire Service personnel but it took them 20 minutes to arrive.
Fire engulfed school building
She said the fire personnel were initially using one fire tender but had to call for additional one before they were able to bring the fire under control.
Stranded pupils of the school
Father of dead boy crying uncontrollably
The Acting Regional Operation Officer, Ignatius, has denied that his people did not put off the cemetery fire properly. He explained that they saw a match box at the place the fire started, creating the impression that the school authorities might have set fire to clear the bush around the school.
FROM Daniel Y Dayee, Sunyani