A father of three choked to death as he tried to eat a McDonald’s cheeseburger in one mouthful, an inquest has heard.
Darren Bray, 29, of Barry, Vale of Glamorgan, blacked out as he ate the 99p burger following a night out with friends in October 2015.
Cardiff Coroner’s Court heard Mr Bray, who had been drinking, but not enough to affect his judgement, died from a blockage to his airway.
A death by misadventure conclusion was recorded.
The hearing was told Mr Bray said “watch this” to his friends as he squashed the burger in half and put it in his mouth.
Friend Sam Bisgrove said: “I could see him trying to cough it up and he was making horrible coughing noises.
“I tried to hit his back to help him clear his airway.”
Paramedics arrived and performed CPR on Mr Bray, who was at a friend’s house in Barry, but were unable to restart his heart and he was pronounced dead at the scene.
Dr Rhiannon Trefor told the hearing there was an 8cm by 5cm (3in by 1.9in) ball of food stuck in his throat.
“He would not have been able to breathe… with that in his airway,” she said.