National Service Person Threatens To Kill US Ambassador


Robert Porter Jackson

Robert Porter Jackson

A graduate of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Jones Kyei Nyarko, has found himself in the grips of the law following a threat to shoot on sight the newly posted United States Ambassador to Ghana, Robert Porter Jackson.

The suspect was put before an Accra Circuit Court presided over by Mrs Patricia Quansah and charged with threat of death after he posted the following on his Facebook timeline: “I would shoot him if I should see him (The US Ambassador)”.

The suspect, a National Service person at the Ejisu M/A Experimental School, pleaded not guilty and is on a GH¢500,000 bail with two sureties while the case has been adjourned to February 19, 2016.

ASP Cynthia Anderson, the prosecuting officer who presented the facts of the case, told the court that the complainant is the newly posted American Ambassador to Ghana while the suspect is a graduate currently doing his National Service.


According to her,  the suspect created an account on Facebook and had been posting his views on both private and public issues on his timeline, adding that he had been ‘liking’ other comments from other persons as well.

She said on January 15, 2016 the American Embassy in Ghana posted news including a video on the appointment of the complainant and his arrival in the country on its official Facebook page and a friend of the suspect liked it, adding that on January 19, 2016 the suspect clicked on his page and saw it.

She continued that the suspect then threatened the Ambassador with the following words: “Who cares! All whites are bad. I would shoot him if I should see him.”

She said the Embassy, upon seeing the threatening message, reported the matter to the police for investigation and the police intelligence revealed that he was at Ejisu. He was consequently arrested but nothing incriminating was found in his room.

The police officer said the suspect admitted he posted the words but had no malicious intent but he was arraigned after police concluded investigations.

By Fidelia Achama