Entertainment of Wednesday, 13 January 2016
Dancehall artiste Shatta Wale, born Charles Nii Amarh Mensah Jnr, has disclosed that he will submit his songs for nomination for this year’s Ghana Music Awards.
Organizers called for entries for this year’s music awards on January 1 but it was unclear whether Shatta Wale, who has had issues with organisers of the awards, Charter House, will submit his songs.
The events company dragged Shatta Wale to court for posting four videos considered defamatory on social media.
The ‘Kakai’ hit singer is said to have said he does not want to be nominated for the awards this year. He, however, appears to have changed his mind. He told JoyNews on MutiTV in an interview that he will submit the songs because of his fans.
“Well you know I’ve gotten calls everywhere and it’s mostly from my fans, telling me to forget certain things and move with the system,” he said and added that his fans are the only people he listens to.
“I feel they are my god and they really pushed my music and get it to where it has to be and I believe they made me who I am so I told my team since the fans are asking then let’s submit it. I’m a type that doesn’t fancy awards but since the fans want it, we will submit it whether we win or not.”
Shatta Wale noted that the decision is to get people to understand that there is time for everything and he believes it is appropriate to do so.
“I just want to let them feel relaxed and feel we are all one people, so nobody will have that [bad] mentality about Shatta Wale with the awards organisers.”
When the Public Relations Officer for Charter House, organizers of the awards George Quaye was contacted by Hitz @ 1 for a reaction, he advised Shatta Wale to stand by his words that he should not be nominated.
George said, “He said, because Charter House was in court with him so he didn’t see why he should be part of an award scheme being organised by a company that is in court with him.” “Last time I checked, we were still in court so what changes, nothing changes, and it’s still the same. So if you ask me, personally the gentleman did issue a warning that warning still stands,” he added.
On whether Shatta’s nomination would be considered if it was by popular demand, George replied, “Where were the fans when Shatta Wale issued the warning on Facebook last year?”
According to George Quaye, the ‘Hol It” singer has thrown the name of Charter House into disrepute and that going back on his words is disrespectful and unfair to the legends the awards scheme has honoured over the years.
“I’m speaking for this award scheme that’s recognized and appreciated legends in this industry, legends that have put this awards schemes honours on their CVs and this gentleman gets up, drags its name into total disrepute and then says he doesn’t want to be a part of it and then in another breath he comes back, says he wants to be a part of it and everybody thinks yeah, let’s go, really?”
He reiterated that, “I trust my brother Charles Nii Armah Mensah (Shatta Wale) to be one of the most vocal gentlemen, very poignant with his ideas, very strong about what he stands on. In my opinion, he should stand by the warning he issued last year.”
“That is a man for me. The company is still in court with you, so why do you want to be a part of it now, what you said last year, your fans supported you please rally them along there’s no point for you now coming back, that for me is a cowardice act,” George Quaye added.