A HUGE AMOUNT of money belonging to scores of traders got burnt into ashes following a ferocious fire that gutted shops at the Kumasi Central Market.
The inferno, which started around 10pm on Wednesday, consumed about 400 shops and also destroyed items including foodstuffs and clothes.
The exact cause of the blaze was not immediately known but eyewitnesses suspected that an ember, left by a yam seller, started the inferno.
Fire fighters were called to the scene but even though they responded swiftly to the distress call, there was little they could do to save the situation.
Paa Kwasi Arhin, a fire fighter, said his men could not get immediate access to the fire scene inside the market because several shops had blocked the way.
He described the fire outbreak as very serious, noting that his outfit released six vehicles filled with water to battle the ferocious blaze.
Mr Arhin, who was speaking to newsmen, said investigations into what actually started the fire was underway and that in due course the Fire Service would let the public know it.
below are some pictures from the scene:
When DAILY GUIDE visited the scene on Thursday morning, the entire place had been turned into a funeral ground, with affected traders wailing uncontrollably.
Some of the affected traders indicated that they had lost huge sums of money through the fire and feared a miserable future awaited them.
According to them, they kept the proceeds of their sales in the market and were unlucky as the fire had consumed all the money, putting their businesses in danger.
People in the city, including Peter Anarfi Mensah, the Ashanti Regional Minister and Kojo Bonsu, Kumasi Mayor, were there to console the traders.
FROM I.F. Joe Awuah Jnr., Kumasi