0.4 C
Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Mohammed Ramadan vows to retain Adentan seat for NDC



Politics of Sunday, 3 January 2016

Source: Myjoyonline.com

The new parliamentary candidate of the National Democratic Congress in the Adentan constituency, Mohammed Ramadan is set to hand a key campaign role to defeated MP, Emmanuel Ashie Moore.

Adentan was one of the fiercely contested constituencies during the governing party’s primaries last year. But Mr Ramadan defeated his three contenders to emerge winner in the race.

He will face the NPP’s Yaw Buaben Asamoah in the November 7 polls.

Mr Ramadan says he believes involving his defeated contenders will be key to victory.

“They will certainly have a role to play. Everybody has their strength. I didn’t score a 100 percent. I mean I had close to 60% of the results. So the other 40% are out there so I will need them” he told Joy News’ Kwakye Afreh-Nuamah

The son of the former PNC chairman whose victory in the NDC polls surprised many pundits is confident the governing party can retain the seat in general elections

“I equally competed against a perceived heavyweight in the primaries. Many people did not give me a dog’s chance. People thought Ramadan is a newcomer. Can he unseat Ashie Moore? Ashie Moore is too formidable. He is too strong. These are the same things I am hearing about Yaw Buabeng. The same work I put in for the primaries, I will probably double it up now. I want to assure my people that it will amaze them the results I will make in the general election,” a confident Ramadan said.

The Adentan constituency, located close to Madina Abokobi, is one of the constituencies considered a swing seat.

Both the NPP and NDC have held the seat since its creation in 2004.

No legislator has managed to get re-elected for more than one term.

After annexing the seat as first MP for the area in 2004, the NPP’s Kwadjo Opare-Hammond lost to Kojo Adu Asare in the 2008 election.

The former YES boss beat him with a difference of 3,584 votes.

However, Mr Adu Asare was also floored by incumbent Emmanuel Ashie Moore at the party’s primaries prior to the 2012 elections.

The contest in the area will certainly get intense in the next few weeks ahead of the election. The NPP’s Yaw Buabeng Asamoah will launch his campaign later this month.


Latest news
Related news