General News of Monday, 28 December 2015
The owner of the quarry site in Peabo in the Nsawam Adoagyiri municipality of the Eastern region is denying responsibility for the explosion which killed one person and injured 10 others.
Dr Ebenezer Mireku in an interview with Joy News’ Francis Abban described the explosion as an accident which his company cannot take responsibility for.
According to the Eastern Region Environmental Protection Agency their checks revealed the quarry site was being operated illegally by a business man who had no license to operate.
The site had been abandoned for about four years and was revamped only recently.
On the 24th of December, 2015, there were heavy explosions on the site which created fear and panic in the area.
A welder, Ibrahim Mohammed, 38, met his untimely death when he was caught in one of those explosions. Several others were injured, with scores running to safety.
Owner of the Peabo quarry, Dr Ebenezer Mireku confirmed the explosion but was quick to add that his company does not deal in explosives.
He however explained further that his site was used as a storehouse by a licensed explosion dealer.
“Peabo as a company, more than four years has never used explosives. There is another company called AKY mining who is a licensed explosives dealer and they store explosives within the premises of Peabo quarry. So they can explain further what happened.
“AKY mining sells explosives from this magazine to quarry operators and it is not that we were making any blasts or anything,” he said.
He described the incident as a “sad issue,” but was quick to also partly blame some residents from encroaching on their quarry.
He called for further investigation into the incident but said his outfit will liaise with the police to resolve the matter amicably and also support the affected family as part of their corporate social responsibility.