General News of Saturday, 26 December 2015
Striking railway workers have vowed to continue with their industrial action until all their grievances are addressed by government.
The Railway Workers Union announced the withdrawal of passenger services from Accra to Tema and Accra to Nsawam last week [Friday, December, 18] following government’s failure to pay their three-month salary arrears.
The Railway Workers Union also demanded the immediate dissolution of board of directors of the company and salary adjustments for the workers before calling an end to their strike action.
Government had earlier resolved to pay the workers’ salaries by Christmas day, according to Deputy Transport Minister, Joyce Bawa Mogtari, on Wednesday December 22 but that has not happened according to the Railway Workers Union.
In an interview with Citi News General Secretary of the Railway Workers Union, Godwill Ntarmah said the salary arrears had still not been paid hence their resolve to continue with the strike action.
“We’ve suffered for a long time. It’s so disgraceful. It’s so annoying. We’ve entered into 26th December and salaries of railway workers have not been paid,” he said.
Mr Ntarmah further stated that “you think we should go on working for people to get their profit then we continue to go hungry? It’s not going to work.”