Sports News of Sunday, 13 December 2015
A key official of the Ghana FA Kofi Manu says the federation’s dithering in hauling some sports journalists in the country before the law courts for slander and defamation, is the cause of the rise in the smear and muckraking campaign by a section of the media against football officials.
The former Aduana Stars CEO, Kofi Manu, fingered the GFA chief Kwesi Nyantakyi for his inability to carry out his legal threats as a sign of weakness which has led to continued attacks by some radio stations.
The sports media landscape in Ghana is witnessing some worrying trends with several libellous statements mainly against officials of the GFA sometimes with false and calculated information meant to deceive the public and damage the federation and its key officials.
Nyantakyi last year slapped Asempa FM and its two sports presenters – Patrick Osei Agyemang ‘Songo’ and Kofi Asare Brako ‘Abatay’ with a defamation and libel lawsuit over persistent years of astonishing attacks.
The Ghana FA chief went to court against the radio station and their two presenters for labelling him as a thief after ‘years of consistent lies and negative campaigns’ but the issue looks to have died down.
Mr. Manu says the federation and Nyantakyi’s inability to follow through with their threats has given those journalist the ammunition to continue their attacks.
The radical official says courtesies such as media accreditation and commentary rights to cover the Ghana Premier League matches should be withdrawn with immediate effect.
“The FA is weak. Certain people holding positions have shown weakness. The Executive Committee by now should have taken someone to court,” Manu told Accra based Montie FM.
“The FA should sit up. Kwesi Nyantakyi has allowed his name to be dragged in the mud, then who else should do it. What has happened to Songo and Abatay’s defamation case?” he added.
The Ghana FA banned its officials from appearing on Asempa FM in a widespread boycott which severely affected the quality of its output.
Several officials of the radio station begged the GFA to lift the ban after one of the presenters whose attacks led to the ban jumped ship to join another radio station, promising they would change their style for the better.
However, there has been no change as the unsubstantiated personal attacks have continued which has sparked concerns among the football fraternity that if legal action is not taken the persistent and calculated attacks would not stop.