Sports News of Saturday, 12 December 2015
Derek Boateng has opened the door wide to AIK. The 32-year-old midfielder is a free agent after leaving Spanish side Eibar at the end of last season, and yearns for a return to the Gnaget. However, nothing concrete has happened.
– AIK is my top priority. But I have not heard from them since last summer, Boateng tells FotbollDirekt.se.
Derek Boateng left the AIK in 2006 after three years at the club and his career has continued in clubs Getafe (Spain) Dnipro (Ukraine) and Fulham (England). Last club was Spanish Eibar, where he featured in 13 games in La Liga season 2014/2015.
Since last spring, however, he is a free agent. Boateng, who reached the age 32, has been a new employer during the autumn, and a month ago he told me about how much he wants to return to AIK. When Boateng remember how he has been in contact with AIK and that the interest was mutual.
From the national team qualified Ghana’s side, it is crystal clear – he wants to return to the Gnaget. But would have Boateng return to AIK? He tells himself from home in London how it has been silent since last summer.
– I promised to come back, I want to come back to AIK and win gold with them before I round off his career. That is my goal. I hope to hear from them, Boateng tells FotbollDirekt.se.
– I have so many friends at the club and in Sweden, and I have so many great memories from there. I was there last year to watch the team in home game and met many old friends and many fans. I promised them to come back to AIK and help them win something again.
Boateng talks about the contacts that existed directly with AIK’s sports league management. They go a bit back in time.
– I talked to Bjorn (Wesström, AIK’s sports director) last summer. We agreed to be heard at the end of the week, the week after we talked to. But I never heard from him. I called him several times.
How do you interpret it?
– I do not know, I really do not know. I am waiting for a response from AIK.
Boateng will return to AIK is his absolute number one priority before January, and he is prepared to wait for an answer.
– There are some Spanish clubs interested, but I want to wait and see. AIK is my first choice. I want to continue playing for a while and it’s a dream for me to come back there.
What is your image of today’s AIK?
– I was there and watched last year, and it is the same AIK. It is a new stadium, but the fans are the same. Since there are some players that I recognized, many new course. But it’s AIK.
You played competitive games this spring in Spain. How do you keep running?
– I work alone here in London, my family lives here and I’m here with them until I find a new club. I feel in good shape, I have kept myself in good trim since I left Eibar.
FD reaches Björn Wesström about Boateng. AIK’s sports director is secretive:
– Derek has a fine history in AIK, he is today an old central midfielder and if it fits into our level and the balance we seek in 2016 remains to be seen, Wesström told FD.
He says he is waiting for a response from you, what do you say about that?
– Who AIK is talking to and when is between us and them.