General News of Wednesday, 2 December 2015
A former director of the National Service Secretariat (NSS) and outgoing Chief Executive of the Youth Employment Agency, Vincent Kuagbenu, has disclosed that a huge number of graduates from the country’s universities do not get employment opportunities after completing national service.
“The issue about graduate and youth unemployment is very real in Ghana. Between 2009 and 2013 as director of the National Service Secretariat, and within the spate of that time I spent there, over 250,000 young graduates from universities passed through my hands to do national service. Not up to 15% are in gainful employment,” he told Kojo Yankson on Joy FM Wednesday December 2, 2015.
The former NSS Director’s revelation adds to what appears to be a worsening employment situation in Ghana, as the Ghana Employers Association had earlier said that close to 13,000 workers were rendered jobless after they were sacked in the first quarter of 2015, alone.
Mr Kuagbenu believes that the implementation of the Youth Employment Agency is a very important intervention to deal with joblessness and has appealed to authorities to make sure the agency functions effectively.
“If you are fortunate and the government passes laws to coordinate and facilitate employment opportunities for the youth it is something that the Chief Executive should not toy with,” he added.
He was responding to issues involving the recent termination of his appointment as Chief Executive of the Youth Employment Agency.
Mr. Kuagbenu has been asked to return to the presidency with immediate effect. In a statement signed by Chief of Staff Julius Debrah, Mr Kuagbenu has also been asked to hand over to his successor by Tuesday, December 8, 2015.
“H.E. the President has identified Mr. Kobina Beecham, whose curriculum vitae is attached hereto, to be considered for appointment as the Chief Executive of the Youth Employment Agency,” the statement dated November 27, 2015 also added.