One more person has been confirmed dead in Saturday’s building collapse at Cantonments in Accra.
This brings to two, the number of deaths so far in Saturday’s disaster which occurred near the National Film Institute (NAFTI).
One man who died instantly when the three-storey building collapsed has been confirmed as owner of the structure.
Co-ordinator of the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO), Brigadier General Francis Vib Sanziri told Joy News’ Beatrice Adu 19 people have been rescued.
He said efforts were underway to retrieve the body of the second victim.
The rescue team, led by the military, comprises the police, NADMO officials, fire service and urban search and rescue officers.
Vib Sanziri said 12 of the 19 people rescued have been treated and discharged.
“Seven are still on admission; three in Police Hospital, four at the  Military Hospital,” he explained.
He said, “currently what we are trying to do is to excavate the rubble to get to the base of the building…we cannot be certain whether there are more bodies further down or not.”
The Acting NADMO boss promised an investigation to establish the circumstances under which the building collapsed.
One survivor, Samuel Nartey, told Joy News he was in the building mixing mortar when suddenly everything came tumbling down.
Some survivors complained even though they noticed one of the pillars had shifted, the owner of the structure ordered them to ignore it and work.
They claimed safety procedures were not followed and that concrete cast was not allowed adequate time to dry before more floors were added.
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.