Residents of Abonkor, a suburb of Tema Newtown, were thrown into a state of grief when two children were last Monday burnt to death.
The deceased cousins, Emmanuella Quainoo, four years old and Gifty Tetteh, 14, were pupils of Christ Magritte International School and Christ Revelation School respectively.
They were said to be in a four-bedroom structure with a drinking bar attached when fire, which was suspected to have come from a candle light, razed down the building in which the children were sleeping, burning them completely.
Properties worth thousands of Ghana cedis, including items in the drinking spot, were consumed by the blaze as the occupants were unable to salvage anything.
The charred bodies of the two cousins have since been deposited at the Police Hospital in Accra as investigations are ongoing.
Harrison Tetteh, a brother of Gifty who survived the incident, told DAILY GUIDE that there was power outage in the area and so a lighted candle was left in the room where the children were sleeping.
According to him, he began to feel some heat in the room where he was sleeping, which was adjacent to the children’s.
‘I woke up only to detect smoke coming out of the room where my siblings were sleeping so I quickly raised an alarm but because the door was locked, the neighbours were not able to rescue them,’ the survivor narrated.
Assistant Fire Officer (AFO) Julius Kuunour, the Tema Regional Commander of the Ghana National Fire Service, briefing DAILY GUIDE at the scene, said his outfit was informed about the incident at about 12:24 am last Monday and some personnel were dispatched to the place.
He said his outfit managed to bring the inferno under control upon arrival at the scene and the charred bodies of the two girls were found on the floor.
From Vincent Kubi, Tema
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.