8-month-old baby charred in Ghana’s Abuja Slum fire


An eight-month-old baby was singed in the wildfire that gutted the Abuja Slum in Accra on Tuesday evening.

Over 200 structures were razed down after a candle flame torched an inflammable material in one of the wooden shacks at the slum near CMB at the Central Business District in Accra.

An eyewitness said, the mother of the baby left him alone in the room to take her bath when the tragedy happened.

‘All we saw was a huge ball of fire spreading from one structure to the other… You can only recognise the baby’s head and his body is completely burnt. It’s a pathetic situation and we were unable to salvage our belongings,’ Yamba Gideon told Starrfmonline.com.

The fire was believed to have been triggered by the candle in the wooden structure which was serving as a residence for one of the squatters, who are mostly ‘Kayayei’.

Personnel of the Ghana National Fire Service had a tough time accessing the congested slum, but managed to douse the inferno after a few hours.

Residents of the community which is behind the COCOBOD office at CMB and traders are assessing their loss.

This is the second fire outbreak at Abuja in less than a year.

Comments
comments


More General News »


Comments:
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.

Comments