An ongoing strike by state attorneys is set to enter a second week as an emergency meeting convened by the Legal and Constitutional Affairs Committee of Parliament Thursday to get them to back down ended in a deadlock.
At the meeting – which was attended by the Attorney-General and Minister of Justice and the Solicitor-General – the agitating state prosecutors had been urged to present a report on their grievances for consideration.
The Committee said while their report was being studied, they must go back to work since their strike was impeding justice delivery.
However, President of the association, Franisca Takyi-Mensah, told Joy News the attorneys will not rescind the strike since the offer being given them was empty.
“We told them that if we go back, we have nothing. We have no computers to work and we don’t have money to continue running the office from our pockets. We knew about the impact of the
before we started even though some people may have underestimated the impact”, she told Joy News Thursday.
The Association of State Attorneys declared the strike on Monday over what they describe as poor conditions of service.
Over 150 lawyers at the Attorney General’s office say they are tired of the disappointment and contempt shown to them by the Finance Ministry regarding conditions of service, having started negotiations more than a year ago.
Earlier, they had met with the Chief of Staff Julius Debrah at the Presidency and a subsequent one with the Deputy Finance Ministry, Ato Forson Monday, however, both talks failed.
Mrs Takyi-Mensah said allegations that they were not being sensitive to the needs of the state were false and unfortunate.
“We knew about [the impact], that is why we have waited for three years. Since we started this matter, we waited for three years. We waited for a long time. So it is not about the fact that we are not sensitive to the impact. We are sensitive, but now we have been pushed to the wall”, she explained.
This article has 1 comments, leave your comment.