Hearts fans on rampage

Soccer News of Monday, 6 July 2015

Source: Graphic.com.gh

Hearts Kotoko 002A section of Hearts of Oak supporters

Football violence resurfaced yesterday in an embarrassing manner after irate supporters of Accra Hearts of Oak vented their anger on an assistant referee who suffered head injuries during the First Capital Plus Premier League clash between Hearts and Sekondi Hassacas at the Accra Stadium, causing a 30-minute hold-up to restore calm.

Apparently frustrated by their club’s poor run of results lately, and defeat staring them at a time Hasaacas had taken a 2-0 lead, the irate supporters pelted objects at assistant referee Badiun Alhassan, who sustained injuries and was carried off the field for treatment. He was replaced by the fourth referee, Yaw Ametepe.

The angry reaction from the fans was in protest at perceived injustice against the Phobians, after Hasaacas scored their second goal from what the fans considered to be an offside.

It took the intervention of some Hearts officials, led by their General Manager, Gerald Ankrah, to calm down the agitated supporters.

Dr Prince Pambo of the National Sports Authority, who treated referee Alhassan, confirmed to the Graphic Sports that he had sustained some bruises at the back of his head but was doing well.

Interestingly, the Match Commissioner, Kweku Eyiah, disagreed with Dr Pambo’s diagnosis of the injury, saying the assistant referee suffered just shallow cut and not a bruise.

Surprisingly, the game was played without a substitution board, compelling the fourth referee to shout from the touchline the name of a player a team intended to change.

The home side had hardly settled down when Hasaacas stunned them in the first minute when Emmanuel Ankobeah hit the back of the net from outside the box to beat goalkeeper Abdoulaye Soulama. He doubled the lead six minutes later as the forward beat an offside trap to punish a sloppy Hearts defence for his brace.

Philip Boampong pulled one back for Hearts in the 76 minute as Coach Herbert Addo’s side struggled in search for an equaliser, with desperate substitute striker Gilbert Fiamenyo and Foovi Aguidi wasting the few scoring chances that came their way.

At the Len Clay Stadium, Ashantigold extended their lead on the First Capital Plus Premier League log after a 1-0 victory over Aduana Stars

Striker Yakubu Mohammed scored his ninth goal of the season when his 50th minute shot beat Stephen Adams in post for Aduana.

Ashgold are now leading the League log with 40 points, while Aduana have dropped to fourth position with 32 points.

In another match played at the Bechem Park, Liberty Professionals suffered a 2-1 defeat to Bechem United.

Kumasi Asante Kotoko held Medeama SC to a scoreless draw at the Tarkwa T&A Park.