Sports News of Wednesday, 1 July 2015
The government is expected to cough up about $4 million (GH¢2.5m and $3.5m) as the total budget to cover cost of expenses for the about 350 athletes scheduled to compete in this year’s All Africa Games in Brazzaville, Congo.
Additionally, a sponsorship committee formed to raise additional funding for Ghana’s participation in the Games has embarked on an aggressive outreach to solicit for funds from corporate bodies to support what government would approve for the Games.
Briefing the Graphic Sports yesterday, the Director General of the National Sports Authority (NSA), Joe Kpenge said his outfit was still awaiting government’s approval for the budget to get preparation into full gear.
“We have already forwarded the budget to government but we are yet to receive response from them,” he said and added that the sponsorship committee was also working hard to bring corporate bodies on board to ensure a successful participation.
He said any apprehension that Ghana’s contingent might not participate in the competition due to lack of funds should be brushed aside.
“I want to assure everyone that the country would participate in the All Africa Games,” the NSA boss emphasised.
On how much the sponsorship committee had raised so far, Mr Kpenge was hesitant to put out any figure except to say that the team was on the ground working and as soon as he received any feedback he would make them available.
Ghana is expected to join other African countries to participate in this year’s All African Games from September 4–19, but government’s delay in approving the budget has sent trepidation among some athletes who are wondering if the country will participate in the competition.