Sports News of Tuesday, 23 June 2015
Former Ghana FA chairman Ben Koufie has rubbished a government white paper advising the FA against recalling duo Kevin-Prince Boateng and Sulley Muntari.
The government advised the Ghana FA against recalling the ‘troublesome’ duo in the wake of the country’s wrecked World Cup campaign in Brazil last year.
Boateng, who is suspended at German side Schalke 04, is serving an indefinite suspension at the international level after a verbal tirade at former coach Kwesi Appiah during the shambolic episode in the South American country.
His compatriot Sulley Muntari is serving a similar punishment after he attacked former Black Stars management committee member, Moses Armah; during a meeting to address grievances pertaining to their appearance fee.
Former Ghana FA chairman Ben Koufie has waded into the controversy which has been sparked by a directive from the government advising the FA to not ever recall the two players.
The veteran football administrator insists the stance of the government amounts to interference.
“What the government has said clearly amount to interference. It is not the prerogative of the government to decide which players are called up or not,” he told Accra-based Starr FM
“The coach has the final say on such matters. In any case, we all make mistakes and so should we punish people for their rest of their lives because they made one?
“We have to allow the football association to deal with the matter. Clearly the government has overstepped their boundary.”
The two friends are reported to have engaged in a near brawl outside a restaurant in Milan last week.