Kofi Jumah Freed!

Former Member of Parliament (MP) for Asokwa, Maxwell Kofi Jumah, suffered the ordeal of spending a night in the Asokwa police cells on Saturday.

He was apprehended and handcuffed by the police in public when he was alleged to have destroyed an electoral material.

He was, however, freed yesterday and walked to temporal freedom.

He was met by hundreds of party supporters who were in jubilant mood.

Bernard Antwi Boasiako, aka Wontumi, the Ashanti Regional NPP Chairman; Kwadwo Owusu Afriyie, popularly called Sir John; Ayisi Boateng and other party gurus were there to welcome him.

Kofi Jumah was caged at the Asokwa police cells on Saturday where he spent a night with two of his supporters including Oscar Riches.

The incident happened at the Ahinsan Youth Centre where the Asokwa constituency branch of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) was having its parliamentary primary.

Kofi Jumah, an ex-KMA boss popularly known as Kofi Ghana, was dislodged from the parliamentary seat by Patricia Appiagyei four years ago.

In Mr Jumah’s bid to stage a comeback, he faced a massive competition from Madam Appiagyei, also an ex-KMA boss.

The polls were set to begin when from nowhere angry-looking Kofi Jumah charged, allegedly destroying one of the forms for the polls.

Initially, it was rumoured that the register of the Electoral Commission (EC) for the election was torn into pieces by Kofi Jumah in protest of something.

But the ex-KMA boss, later in an interview on Angel FM, said he only tore a form which was being held by one of his supposed agents.

According to him, he realised that somebody he had not approved was acting as his (Jumah’s) agent for the polls so he protested.

Kofi Jumah said his protest for the person to be replaced fell on deaf ears and so he tore the paper that that person was holding in protest.

The election was delayed for several hours as the policemen ferried Kofi Jumah, who was handcuffed, to the police station.

NPP chairman for Ashanti Region, Bernard Antwi Boasiako, rushed to the place and urged the party delegates to remain calm.

He then proceeded to the Asokwa Police Station looking for bail for Kofi Jumah but to no avail as the ex-Kumasi Mayor was placed in cells.

After several hours of delay, the EC officials finally allowed the delegates to cast their ballots around 1:15 pm when some constituencies had finished voting.

Though characterised by confusion, the polls eventually ended and Madam Patricia Appiagyei won by a large margin.

When the paper visited the Asokwa Police Station around 11pm on Saturday, hundreds of NPP faithful had converged in front of the station.

Even though it was drizzling, the party faithful vowed to spend the night in the rains in solidarity with Kofi Jumah.

Chairman Wontumi admonished the angry party members to conduct themselves well, assuring them that the party was working to get Kofi Jumah freed.

FROM I.F. Joe Awuah Jnr., Kumasi

CAPTION: Kofi Jumah in handcuffs

More Politics »

This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.