Elvis Afriyie-Ankrah says any attempt to surcharge him for misappropriated funds during Black Starts’ participation in the World Cup tournament in Brazil would be wrong..
In a brief statement released Sunday, the former Sports minister stated that he did not engage in any act of embezzlement or misappropriation of public funds during or after the Brazil World Cup fiasco.
Afriyie-Ankrah, who is now a Minister of State at the Presidency, was reacting to a White Paper released last week by Attorney General Marrieta Appiah-Oppong on the Justice Senyo Dzamefe-led Commission of Inquiry tasked to look into Ghana’s poor showing in the football tournament last year.
The Dzamefe Commission recommended that “misappropriation/misapplication of funds given by GNPC to E-Volution International on behalf of the Ministry of Youth and Sports should be refunded by E- volution International or surcharged to the former Minister for Youth and Sports (Hon. Elvis Afriyie Ankrah).”
Government has indicated in the White Paper that it accepts that recommendation totally.
However, Afriyie-Ankrah insists in the release that “I rendered full accounts of my stewardship to the relevant authorities with respect to both the funds allocated to the team by government and the funds which I together with my team solicited through an innovative corporate sponsorship drive.”
He said he will study the document thoroughly with his legal team after which he will make a full statement on both documents.
“I am ready to cooperate with the relevant authorities on any other consequential matters arising from the report and the White Paper, just as I did with the Commission of Inquiry”, he said.
Story by Ghana | Myjoyonline.com | George Nyavor | [email protected]
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.