Man, 35, Electrocuted In Kumasi Flooding

The Asawase Police Command has confirmed the death of a 35 year old washing bay attendant who was electrocuted at Dichemso, a suburb of Kumasi in the Ashanti Region in the early hours of Thursday.

This was during the heavy downpour which occurred in most parts of the Metropolis from Wednesday night through to Thursday morning.

The deceased, Kwaku Nyasemhwe, was said to have been electrocuted while he tried rescuing stranded people at the mercy of the rain.

According to his widow, Fati Tiborataah, Kwaku went out to buy food for her and their two children during the rain. While out, she said, he tried to help some persons trapped by the heavily flowing flood water.

He got into contact with a naked electrical cable that was cut off from an ECG electric pole and was electrocuted in the process.

Kwaku was rushed to the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH), unconscious, where he was pronounced dead.

The flooding caused by the rain was intense, submerging buildings in some parts of the city including Sepe Boukrom, Asawase, Aboabo and Dichemso.

The impact of the floods left commuters and drivers stranded.

Most of the residents in affected areas have spent many hours dredging flood water from their homes and workplaces.

The damage caused to properties ran into thousands of Ghana cedis. It also left drains and gutters choked.

Kwaku was survived by his wife and two sons, aged two and three.

The remains of Kwaku Nyasemhwe have since been deposited at the KATH morgue. Meanwhile, the police have begun investigation into the case.


More General News »


Comments:
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.

Comments