The State has brought five new charges against the former director of the National Service Scheme (NSS), Imoro Alhassan who is standing trial in connection with the massive fraud at the NSS Secretariat.
Alhaji Imoro had pleaded not guilty to one count of stealing, contrary to Section 124 (1) of the Criminal Offences Act, Act 29 0f 1960.
But an Accra High Court heard on Wednesday that the charge against Imoro for stealing È¼86.9 million, has been scrapped.
He is now charged with stealing È¼28million and also attempting to bribe an official of the Bureau of National Investigations on three separate occasions.
Thirty-five other NSS officials have also been granted bail after being charged with stealing and conspiracy to steal over È¼100million.
Counsel for the former NSS Executive Director, Dennis Adjei, says the legal team is “not surprised at all” by the new and shifting charges.
“They have a case to prove. It is the state and that is what the state is alleging,” he told Joy News.
The case has been adjourned to June 5, 2015.
Alhaji Imoro Alhassan was remanded in October 2014 after investigations conducted by the BNI indicated that a total of 22,612 ghost names were generated at the headquarters of the NSS resulting in the loss of GhÈ»7.9million in July alone.
Prosecution noted that the ghost names were generated at the NSS headquarters under the supervision of the former NSS boss.
According to the state, from the month of September 2013 to July 2014 Alhaji Imoro stole a total sum of GhÈ»86.9 million from the state coffers.
Prosecution said this was after a report received by the BNI indicated malfeasance in the postings and payment of allowances to service persons.
Prosecutor, DSP Abraham Annor had said investigations so far revealed that for every month starting from September 2013, to July this year, an amount of GHÈ» 7.9 million cedis was paid to 22,612 nonexistent or ‘ghost ‘ service persons.
Story by Ghana|myjoyonline.com
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.