Governor Ayodele Fayose of Ekiti State should take the blame for the rising wave of kidnappings in the state, human rights lawyer, Mr. Femi Falana (SAN), has said.
The rights activist, who is from the state, was reacting to Fayose’s SOS letter to the Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Solomon Arase.
According to a statement he issued on Sunday, Mr. Falana said Governor Fayose must desist from providing official cover for armed gangs to curb kidnapping cases in the state.
He noted that the armed thugs had in connivance with the state government occupied and shut the House of Assembly since November 2014 in a bid to forestall any plans by the All Progressives Congress lawmakers to impeach Mr. Fayose.
The statement read in part, “Last week, Mr. Ayo Fayose, the governor of Ekiti State was reported to have sent SOS to the Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Solomon Arase, over the increasing wave of kidnapping sweeping across the state.
“In urging the police chief to attend promptly to the concern expressed by the governor, I am compelled to point out that the state government has itself to blame for deliberately providing official cover for armed gangs and other criminally-minded individuals who have taken over the monopoly of violence in Ekiti State”.