3 Jailed For Robbery

A KUMASI circuit court, presided over by Afua Adu Amankwah, has sentenced three persons – supposedly members of two robbery gangs – to various jail terms after they had been found guilty of robbery.

While Benjamin Ato Ansah, electrician, was sentenced to 23 years’ imprisonment in hard labour for robbing Michael Wei Wei, a Chinese at gun point, Awudu Samead Kumfa and Samuel Oduro, alias Blackie Kofi Owusu, were handed 22 years each.

They were prosecuted on the charges of robbery contrary to Section 149 of the Criminal Offences Act 29 of 1960.

The facts of Ato Ansah’s case were that Michael and his friends, He Winning, Jonny Yang and Jack Chine, (all Chinese) supervise the Easy Win Casino at Ahodwo in Kumasi while the convict is an electrician staying at Chirapatre estate.

On January 28, 2014 at about 4.00 am, the victims and their Ghanaian counterparts closed from work and were walking home.

On reaching a portion of the road near the Melcom shopping mall at Ahodwo, the three were attacked by Ato Ansah who was armed with a foreign protractor automatic pistol and a jack knife, and ordered them to surrender their money and phones.

He succeeded in dispossessing Michael Wei Wei of his Samsung Galaxy Grand mobile phone valued at GH¢950.00 and stabbed him in his left eyebrow during a struggle.

Ansah took to his heels but was given a hot chase and in the process assaulted the second victim, He Winning, before bolting.

They were rushed to the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) in Kumasi where they were treated and discharged.

Later Anto Ansah was arrested with the stolen mobile phone, the pistol and the jack knife at a police snap check point at Atingah Junction in Kumasi.

He was handed over to the Ashanti Regional Criminal Investigation Department (RCID) for investigation and prosecution.

Awudu Samead Kumfa and Samuel Oduro, the two accomplices, were on the run. Their names were mentioned as China and Kobbi.

On January 9, 2013, at about 3.00 am at Asafo, a suburb of Kumasi, the gangsters robbed one Frank Tamakloe Roger of his Nokia mobile phone valued at GH¢200.00 and an amount of GH¢80.00.

The victim had visited a friend at a drinking spot and was returning home when the robbers attacked and subjected him to severe beatings, hitting him on his mouth.

The victim, who lay helplessly in a pool of blood, was rescued by some people and rushed to the hospital for medical attention.

FROM James Quansah, Kumasi

More General News »

This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.