General News of Friday, 13 March 2015
The head of the political science department of the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) has alleged that the controversial Ghc51 million judgment debt paid to businessman Alfred Woyome between 2009 and 2010 was done conspiratorially by people in Government at the time.
The money was paid to Mr Woyome during the tenure of Mrs Betty Mould-Iddrisu as Attorney General.
Mrs Mould-Iddrisu’s successor, Martin Amidu, who was later fired by President John Mills (late) after raising concerns about the payment which he described as “gargantuan fraud” subsequently challenged the payment of the judgment debt at the Supreme Court.
The panel of justices ruled unanimously that the payment was unmerited since the allegedly abrogated contracts which formed the basis of Mr Woyome’s claims had no parliamentary endorsement. The Court therefore asked Mr Woyome to refund the money to the state.
On the criminal aspect of the case, Mr Woyome was Thursday acquitted and discharged by an Accra High Court on two counts of causing financial loss to the state and defrauding by false pretences.
Presiding judge John Ajet-Nassam said the prosecutors failed to convince him of Mr Woyome’s guilt especially with their failure to call key witnesses such as Mrs Mould-Iddrisu and her former Deputy Ebo Barton-Odro, who were at the helm of affairs at the AG’s Department when the money was paid.
Dr Amoakoh-Baah told Morning Starr host Kafui Dey that the prosecution failed to invite the two critical witnesses because they were party to a grand conspiracy to pay the money to Mr Woyome for the use of the National Democratic Congress (NDC).
“The point is the moment you invite someone like Betty Mould-Iddrisu, it means she too is in trouble because she’ll be implicated in the process and so it was not good for them to call any of these big people…Betty Mould-Iddrisu…canvass[ed] for the money to be paid, we heard even Okudzeto Ablakwa putting pressure on then Attorney General [Martin] Amidu to pay the money. All of it. And so this is a conspiracy. It’s not one person; it’s not Woyome. He is just a front person. They used the money for elections, now they have to pay it and this is how they were going to pay it,” Dr Amoako-Baah, host of Ultimate 106.9fm’s flagship political programme ‘what’s going on,’” said.
For more news go to Starrfmonline.com.
- Rawlings’ comments were ‘irresponsible’ – Woyome’s lawyer
- I am not surprised by Woyome judgement – Kwadwo Mpiani
- Betty Mould will be jailed by an NPP gov’t – Ken Agyapong
- AG’s claim to appeal Woyome ruling mere rhetoric – Amoako-Baah
- Lawyer: Woyome can’t be compelled to pay Ghc51m
- Woyome case: Ghana needs independent prosecutor – Nduom
- AG to appeal Woyome’s acquittal
- Woyome to know fate today
- Woyome ruling: Heavy security at Cocoa Affairs Court
- Update: Woyome acquitted and discharged
- GII: Woyome’s acquittal and discharge not shocking
- Woyome case: AFAG wants Betty-Mould, Barton-Oduro prosecuted
- Woyome is a thief; prosecutors did shoddy job – Rawlings
- Betty Mould collaborated with Woyome – JJ
- Woyome has inspired many “thieves” in gov’t – Atik Mohammed
- EOCO Boss dares Woyome; Publish your evidence
- ‘Betty copied approval letters to Newman’
- Woyome money was hidden from me – Amidu replies
- Don’t discontinue case against me – Woyome tells Gov’t
- Court frees Woyome’s accounts
- Osafo Maafo freed by court over woyome saga
- Woyome must never pay back monies-Mills
- Attorney General pleads for time in Woyome’s case
- EOCO responds to Woyome’s writ
- Woyome, three others in court for fraud
- Woyome and three others plead not guilty to charges
- Woyome Saga: Owner of Trassaco Valley Should Be Arrested
- EOCO report: Woyome manipulated documents
- Mills receives EOCO’s interim report on payment of judgement debt
- Alfred Woyome Arrested
- Chief State Attorney’s wife received GHS 400,000 from Woyome – EOCO
- Mpiani: NPP officials justified not to appear before EOCO
- Woyome’s Woes Deepen
- AG Ordered Woyome Payment
- Kufuor: How can a broke nation pay that sum to Woyome?
- Woyome’s ‘1.2bn Euro Mirage’
- Woyome Squandered 500,000 Euros Meant For Rawlings
- AFAG demands arrest of NDC gang of four, Woyome
- Calls for the arrest and prosecution of some Ministers
- A-G wants Woyome to refund GhÂ¢51m judgment debt
- Saga Of Woyome’s ‘First Claim’ On Govt.
- NPP will continue to oppose EOCO investigations
- Statement By The New Patriotic Party On The Woyome Saga
- Mills goofed on Woyome – NPP
- Woyome, NDC, Our Money And Our President
- A “Burger” Piles Pressure on Woyome to Vomit the Money or is sued.
- Woyome paid Gh¢92m not Gh¢58m – Minority leader
- I Challenge Woyome, Achina Brentuo, David Annan
- NDC’s Thievery god-Woyome to Sue God
- You’ll Vomit The Monies” – Agyapong Tells Woyome
- Betty Mould is not accountable for judgment debt- NDC group
- NDC Connive with Alfred Agbesi Woyome to Swindle Ghana
- GHC42m Judgement Debt, How Did We Come This Far?
- President Mills Defends Woyome…
- Parities in the Woyome saga are still negotiating – State Attorney
- AG, Woyome in court tomorrow
- Mills Orders EOCO To Probe Woyome Payment
- Minority demands Mould-Iddrisu’s dismissal
- Betty’s Ghc58m Gift To Woyome
This article has 4 comments, give your comment