General News of Thursday, 12 March 2015
Former president Jerry John Rawlings has berated state prosecutors for scruffily handling businessman Alfred Agbesi Woyome’s Gh¢51.2 million judgment debt case which led to his acquittal and discharge.
The marathon case came to an end on Thursday in an Accra High Court after judge John Ajet-Nassam ruled that state prosecutors failed to adduce evidence to implicate the ruling National Democratic Congress (NDC) financier.
Woyome left the court a free man after the presiding judge had cleared him of causing financial loss to the state and defrauding by false pretence. The judge said he was not convinced by the prosecution’s case, especially when they failed to present key witnesses – Betty Mould-Iddrisu and Ebo Barton Oduro – who were attorney general and deputy respectively when the judgment debt was paid.
Rawlings, who described Woyome as a “thief”, is unhappy about the outcome of the case, adding Ghanaians are “not serious” when it comes to the “fight against corruption”.
“This is the extent of corruption I keep talking about. I just read that they have freed the thief called [Alfred] Woyome. Why, because his accomplices [Betty Mould-Iddrisu and one other] in government were not produced in court for interrogation to provide vital evidence to incriminate him,” the ex-military leader told the family of one Isaac Tetteh when they called on him at his residence to inform him about the death of their loved one.
He added: “Because his collaborators were untouched he was also freed. The rot in government keeps aggravating. The Attorney General had let loose the collaborators so how can Woyome be prosecuted?
“We are not serious! Is that how to fight corruption? They are rather holding key positions in the party. Are we so stupid? What is wrong with our support base, can’t they observe what is going on?”
Meanwhile, Mrs Mould-Iddrisu had told Starr News on the eve of Thursday’s ruling that she did nothing untoward in the payment of the judgment debt to Mr Woyome.
For more news go to Starrfmonline.com.
- Woyome to know fate today
- Woyome ruling: Heavy security at Cocoa Affairs Court
- Update: Woyome acquitted and discharged
- GII: Woyome’s acquittal and discharge not shocking
- Woyome case: AFAG wants Betty-Mould, Barton-Oduro prosecuted
- EOCO Boss dares Woyome; Publish your evidence
- ‘Betty copied approval letters to Newman’
- Woyome money was hidden from me – Amidu replies
- Don’t discontinue case against me – Woyome tells Gov’t
- Court frees Woyome’s accounts
- Osafo Maafo freed by court over woyome saga
- Woyome must never pay back monies-Mills
- Attorney General pleads for time in Woyome’s case
- EOCO responds to Woyome’s writ
- Woyome, three others in court for fraud
- Woyome and three others plead not guilty to charges
- Woyome Saga: Owner of Trassaco Valley Should Be Arrested
- EOCO report: Woyome manipulated documents
- Mills receives EOCO’s interim report on payment of judgement debt
- Alfred Woyome Arrested
- Chief State Attorney’s wife received GHS 400,000 from Woyome – EOCO
- Mpiani: NPP officials justified not to appear before EOCO
- Woyome’s Woes Deepen
- AG Ordered Woyome Payment
- Kufuor: How can a broke nation pay that sum to Woyome?
- Woyome’s ‘1.2bn Euro Mirage’
- Woyome Squandered 500,000 Euros Meant For Rawlings
- AFAG demands arrest of NDC gang of four, Woyome
- Calls for the arrest and prosecution of some Ministers
- A-G wants Woyome to refund GhÂ¢51m judgment debt
- Saga Of Woyome’s ‘First Claim’ On Govt.
- NPP will continue to oppose EOCO investigations
- Statement By The New Patriotic Party On The Woyome Saga
- Mills goofed on Woyome – NPP
- Woyome, NDC, Our Money And Our President
- A “Burger” Piles Pressure on Woyome to Vomit the Money or is sued.
- Woyome paid Gh¢92m not Gh¢58m – Minority leader
- I Challenge Woyome, Achina Brentuo, David Annan
- NDC’s Thievery god-Woyome to Sue God
- You’ll Vomit The Monies” – Agyapong Tells Woyome
- Betty Mould is not accountable for judgment debt- NDC group
- NDC Connive with Alfred Agbesi Woyome to Swindle Ghana
- GHC42m Judgement Debt, How Did We Come This Far?
- President Mills Defends Woyome…
- Parities in the Woyome saga are still negotiating – State Attorney
- AG, Woyome in court tomorrow
- Mills Orders EOCO To Probe Woyome Payment
- Minority demands Mould-Iddrisu’s dismissal
- Betty’s Ghc58m Gift To Woyome
This article has 1 comment, give your comment