General News of Tuesday, 24 February 2015
Deputy Education Minister Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa has said the leadership of the main opposition New Patriotic Party (NPP) should have taken along their children to the “Won gbo” demonstration if they were interested in having kids on the protest march.
The comments come on the back of the decision of the education ministry to reprimand head teachers who allowed their pupils to partake in the opposition’s last week demonstration against the worsening power crisis in the country.
Pupils of the Mantse Tackey Liberty Avenue cluster of schools last week Wednesday took advantage of their break time to participate in the demonstration by NPP.
The demonstration which was led by the NPP flagbearer Nana Akufo-Addo was to express the frustration of Ghanaians to government on the deteriorating power supply in the country.
The Ghana Education Service (GES) and the Education ministry have, however, cautioned four head teachers who allowed their pupils to take part in the protest.
Speaking to Citi FM Monday, the former deputy Information minister said the children’s lives were endangered by the negligence of their teachers.
“Anything could have happened to the children. We can’t train our children that way.
“Do have to introduce our children to politics in that manner? We have cautioned the teachers and they have responded. I have seen the school myself and it’s heavily fortified so they could have prevented the children from going out.
“If the demonstrators were so much interested in having children on the protest, they should have sent their kids along,” Ablakwa stated.