Match Report: Ashia’s late penalty down Chelsea

Liberty Professionals put Berekum Chelsea to the sword at the Karl Reindolf Park when Liberty Professionals hosted Berekum Chelsea on match day eight of the Ghana Premier League. 

Liberty dominated proceedings from the blast of whistle, but were poor in front of goal. They blew away glorious chances upon chances when they presented themselves. 

Kennedy Ashia, Mensah, and Tanimu were all culpable for their failure to wrap up the game in the first half. 

Tanimu had the shot on goal on the 3rd minute of the game, but his powerful drive from 25 yards out was inches wide.

Alfred Nelson, bossing the midfield had the real chance to open the scoring from the edge of the box on the 19th minute. The ever brilliant Kennedy Ashia was brought down at the edge of the box, Nelson’s well hit free kick almost found the back of the net. But goalkeeper was up to the task as he saved well downright for Liberty corner. Tanimu took the corner, and it was headed back to him by Chelsea back line. His follow up shot hit the tip of the cross bar. 

Liberty Professionals kept asking the difficult questions, but could not find the breakthrough needed to calm nerves as Chelsea warmed themselves into the game. 

A brilliant inter play between Abdul Latif and Kofi Owusu forced Liberty goalkeeper Kwaku outline his after his back line was splitted. He was late to the ball and brought down Kofi Owusu. 

Kofi Owusu chose himself for the penalty kick but his shot was feeble to beat Kwaku who gathered with aplomb on the 34th minute.

The game was a decent one as chances went to both sides. Kennedy Ashia should have scored on the 40th minute when he had only Moro in Chelsea goal to beat, but his shot went into the skies. 

Over elaboration and short passes between Ashia and Tanimu denied Liberty again when they were in the Chelsea box in the 44th minute.

Chelsea made the last incursion of the game, but Latif Salifu shot had no power to beat Kwaku. 

The second period of the game was more direct. Chelsea took the game to Liberty Professionals. Abdul Latif Salifu had the first shot on target, but it couldn’t beat Kwaku. 

Liberty Professionals made the first change in the 53rd minute. Jafaru replaced Kodik and his presence was felt immediately. He forced corner from Osei Agyemang which almost resulted in the opening goal of the afternoon. 

With Liberty Professionals pushing harder for a goal, Radolf made double defensive minded sub to absorb the pressure, but it seems the substitutions favoured Liberty Professionals who pushed harder and got va last minute penalty which Kennedy Ashia converted. 

There minutes of injury time was added, but Chelsea could not make up for sitting too deep and soaking pressure.

For more sports news visit

More Sports News »

This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.