Strain Group, OccupyGhana has given authorities a seven-day ultimatum to deal with authorized questions relating to the brand new coverage to introduce an Interconnect Clearing Home system for telecom corporations.
The group is questioning the authorized foundation for introducing the coverage. Communications Ministry has introduced plans to implement the system as a strategy to cope with SIM field fraud.
The system would require telcos and Worldwide Carriers to attach their gateways by way of a centralized clearinghouse.
However Occupy Ghana in a press release has raised 19 questions it says require readability from authorities and the telecommunications corporations.
The Honourable Minister,
Ministry of Communications and Info
Nationwide Communications Authority
The Lawyer-Common & Minister of Justice
Lawyer Common’s Division & Ministry of Justice
OCCUPYGHANA WANTS TO KNOW 2015
INTERCONNECT CLEARING HOUSE – DO WE NEED IT?
OccupyGhana (OG) has been following the assertions from numerous stakeholders on the problems in regards to the institution in Ghana of an Interconnect Clearing Home (“ICH”).
The Authorities and NCA allege that some Telecommunication Corporations (“Telcos”) in Ghana are concerned in scams and are underpaying Authorities for income because of it, which partially justifies the institution of an ICH.
The Authorities additional argues that the proposed ICH will fight SIMboxing, plug leakages and beneath-declarations in Authorities income and can even be used as a platform for monitoring cellular monetary transactions together with MobileMoney.
The Honourable Minister of Communications has confirmed Cupboard’s approval of the proposal and that the Nationwide Communications Authority (“NCA”) is taking steps to implement the coverage.
This however, within the face of the NCA’s willpower to implement the accepted proposal, OccupyGhana thinks that sure CRITICAL ISSUES REMAIN UNANSWERED, though the Authorities seems poised to implement a compulsory coverage, which might require Telcos and Worldwide Carriers to attach their gateways by way of a clearinghouse.
Whereas the ICH idea might not essentially be an inappropriate answer, OccupyGhana has authentic considerations, numerous which have been expressed by different stakeholders within the telecommunications business (together with however not restricted to Subscribers, WASPAG, ISPs and Telcos).
OccupyGhana believes that these considerations MUST be completely mentioned and a consensus reached in one of the best curiosity of the Nation, allowing for telecommunication licenses are nationwide belongings and the citizenry should be assured by Authorities that each one such belongings can be harnessed and put to correct use to allow the nation to realize optimum profit.
OccupyGhana acknowledges, and is supportive of efforts by previous and present Governments to push the native content material participation and capability constructing in enterprise sectors in Ghana. Nevertheless, we’re at present not satisfied that the method of creating and implementing the ICH coverage has been completely thought by means of as but
OccupyGhana urges the Authorities and NCA, because the Regulator, to deal with all gaps with a purpose to keep away from any nationwide embarrassment.
OccupyGhana and the Citizenry request readability from the NCA and GOVERNMENT: –
OccupyGhana believes that the engagement of the ICH probably runs opposite to the authorized regime governing interconnection because the regulation makes no room for a centralized ICH.
OccupyGhana subsequently requests clarification from:
SECTOR MINISTER, the ATTORNEY GENERAL and NCA.
1. How does the regulation and present coverage help the institution of a centralized ICH?
2. How will the institution of an unique centralized ICH grow to be the last word panacea to SIMboxing? NCA should clarify to residents how an unique ICH will sanitise the telecommunication sector, guarantee correct income reporting and safe higher high quality of service.
three. Why is Authorities pushing for the institution of a centralized ICH now?
four. What are the advantages of such an institution to the nation?
5. By which nations, has this proposed answer labored and do these nations have telecommunication industries typical to that in Ghana?
6. What classes are we going to use to make sure optimum outcomes?
7. Was the method of engagement thorough and have been the relevant procurement legal guidelines adhered to? Was a young doc revealed, and in that case, when, and what number of corporations responded, and who have been these corporations, their administrators and shareholders?
eight. What authorized, monetary and “match-and-correct-individual” due diligence was carried out for the number of the operator of the ICH?
9. What experience does the chosen operator have on this space of enterprise?
10. Why is authorities compelling Telcos to make use of an unique ICH whose choice they’ve had no hand in?
eleven. Why implement a brand new system with an argument that the prevailing interconnect structure is difficult and inefficient but the redundancy plan will rely one hundred% on the rejected interconnecting structure?
Under are some considerations that have to be addressed by NCA and GOVERNMENT:
1. Does the ICH, in any means, handle shopper considerations on privateness and the standard of service?
2. Are shopper considerations notably improve in name value from the price of inter-connectivity actual?
three. If the ICH suffers an outage or a shutdown, will the buyer be capable of take any authorized motion towards the ICH?
Under are some considerations that NCA and GOVERNMENT want to deal with:
1. How will an ICH realistically and virtually enhance reported income, as is being asserted?
2. Who will bear the extra value of interconnectivity and SIM registration?
three. Has Authorities adequately thought-about different options?
four. What are the sensible and technical dangers from an ICH, if any, that Ghana must be involved about?
5. Are any Telcos concerned in SIMboxing and income beneath-declaration? Please make the names of such corporations out there within the public area.
OccupyGhana agrees that Ghana deserves a vibrant and aggressive Telecommunication sector the place there’s alternative for progress, truthful competitors, and sufficient return on funding.
OccupyGhana believes in a Telecommunication sector the place native content material is promoted so that extra capability is constructed, and extra Ghanaians will achieve employment or create enterprise alternatives, and Authorities may also be assured of the required income.
OCCUPYGHANA is subsequently entreating the GOVERNMENT and Nationwide Communication Authority to exhaust all of the out there choices by means of a consultative course of with all related stakeholders earlier than a remaining “GO” to implementation is taken.
We sincerely hope due consideration and a spotlight is given to the factors we’ve raised above and we may have solutions inside the subsequent seven days.
Yours within the service of God and Nation.
OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT
SPEAKER OF PARLIAMENT
MAJORITY & MINORITY LEADERS
CEO, TELECOMS CHAMBER
ALL CEOs of TELCOS LICENSED TO OPERATE IN GHANA
ALL MEDIA HOUSES
This text has zero remark, depart your remark.