Death toll in football clashes now 22


At least 22 people have been officially confirmed dead following clashes between the supporters of Zamalek and Egyptian police in Cairo before a Premier League match on Sunday.

The Egyptian Ministry of Health spokesman, Hossam Abdel Ghafar, initialy announced that five people have been killed before the league match between Zamalek and ENPPI.

“Three Zamalek fans and two security forces have been killed, and there are 34 injured people in hospital,” Abdel Ghafar said.

But a latest statement from the Egyptian public prosecutor said 22 people have lost their lives in the violence on Sunday.

The public prosecutor is also demanding an inquest into the violence that erupted before the match.

The Egyptian Ministry of Interior announced in official statement that “thousands of Zamalek fans tried to enter the stadium without tickets and tried to jump inside Air Defence Stadium.”

Witnesses told supersport.com that police used gas bombs against the fans and many of them suffered suffocation and a stampede ensued.

The Egyptian FA has decided to hold a meeting on Sunday night to reach the next point of action.

The Egyptian Football Association allowed fans to attend football matches since last week after the approval from the Egyptian Ministry of Interior.

The EFA announced that the Zamalek and ENPPI match will be played in front of 10,000 fans.


More Sports News »


Comments:
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.

Comments