Gov’t wanted to host AFCON 2015 – Nyantakyi

Soccer News of Thursday, 5 February 2015

Source: GNA

Kwesi Nyantakyi Mic

Mr. Kwesi Nyantakyi, President of the Ghana Football Association (GFA), has revealed that, though the government of Ghana was willing to host the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations, it was compelled to shelve the idea because of social pressure.

Nyantakyi said Ghana was willing to host the competition after Morocco withdrew but pressure from professional bodies, the media and Ghanaians in general made it difficult for the government to accept the competition.

He said the issue of Ebola had even died out, adding that Ghana could have put in place the necessary structures to host the competition.

Nyantakyi, who doubles as Executive Committee member of CAF heaped praises on Equatorial Guinea for accepting to host the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations.

Morocco was originally scheduled to host the 2015 AFCON but pulled out at the last minute due to the wide spread Ebola in some West African countries.

Equatorial Guinea co-host of the 2012 edition opted to host the event after series of negotiations with the Confederation of Africa Football (CAF).

“At time when all the big countries including Ghana were running way from the AFCON 2015, they stepped out boldly to save the competition and I think they must be commended for the efforts.

“They have also exhibited excellent organisation skills throughout the competition. So far I have not seen any hiccup in organisation though they had limited time to organise the competition”.

According to Mr. Nyantakyi, the decision of the Central African country to host the competition at the last minute was a face saving move.

He also commended Equatorial Guinea for putting in place stringent measures to check people for Ebola at all points of entry.

Comments