The Federal Government on Thursday faulted claims by some foreign journalists that they were denied accreditation to cover the country’s upcoming general elections.
A statement signed by the Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Information, Dr. Folasade Yemi-Esan, said the claim was false and advised the general public to disregard the report, which it described as “mischievous”.
The ministry, according to Yemi-Esan, views the claim as a deliberate ploy by some politicians to smear the image of the Federal Government ahead of the elections.
The permanent secretary pointed out that the government “has so far processed 300 visa applications from foreign journalists who want to come into the country for the elections.
“Hundreds of other applications received by the ministry are being processed at the moment.
“Those who could not secure their visas from Nigerian embassies abroad probably did not follow the due process to secure the accreditation”, she said.