Ex-Niger Delta militant leaders have issued a seven-day ultimatum to a former Minister of Defence, Lt.-Gen. Theophilus Danjuma (retd.), to apologise to them for calling on the authorities to arrest them.
The former militant leaders, who spoke under the aegis of Leadership, Peace and Cultural Development Initiative, also declared Danjuma a persona non-grata in the oil rich region.
In a statement signed on Friday by the group’s President, Pastor Reuben Wilson, they accused the former minister of belonging to the clique of northerners that had been benefitting from the oil produced in the region.
You may recall that Mr. Danjuma had called for the arrest of the ex-militant leaders such as Government Ekpemudo, alias Tompolo, and Mujahid Asari-Dokubo over their threat to wage war against Nigeria should President Goodluck Jonathan lose the February 14 election.
In his response, Wilson said Danjuma was courting trouble for calling for the arrest of Asari-Dokubo and Tompolo.
The group’s statement read, “Our attention has been drawn to publications credited to T.Y. Danjuma, a former defence minister, calling for the arrest of former Niger Delta freedom fighters, including our frontline selfless leader and hero, Alhaji Mujahid Asari Dokubo.
“As much as he has the right to free speech, Danjuma ought to know that the oil money he is enjoying today through his ownership of oil blocs came from our sacrifices and blood. We staked our lives to fight for the development of our country.
“We fought for freedom for our land and it pains us that people like Danjuma, who reaped bountifully from the Niger Delta, can wake up to insult our sensibilities. For Danjuma to call for the arrest of Asari-Dokubo, then he has walked on the tail of the serpent.
“The much we know is that we, the ex-militants who decided to drop our guns to join forces with the Federal Government to develop the country, especially the Niger Delta have never said anything or taken any action that would warrant such explosives from Danjuma”.