FG Denies Plot To Postpone February Elections

2015-election

The Federal Government, on Thursday, distanced itself from calls for the postponement of the general elections slated for February, saying it will not interfere with the operation of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

Coordinator, National Information Centre, Mike Omeri, stated this while answering questions from newsmen during a security briefing in Abuja.

The federal government had been accused of plotting to postpone the elections following a call by the National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki, who said this will allow INEC to finish the distribution of Permanent Voters’ Cards (PVCs). Omeri however distanced the government from any such plans, as he pointed out that INEC was independent of the government.

“I know that government will not interfere with the operation of INEC. Whatever decision that will be taken is solely the responsibility of INEC. It has happened in this country before, when INEC postponed the election in 2011 by a week. It was not the National Security Adviser (NSA) or President (Goodluck) Jonathan that is postponing it.

“INEC is under nobody’s instructions, because if the president is going to instruct anybody, he would not have travelled to Bayelsa in 2011 for accreditation and queue to vote before the announcement of cancellation was made. So, please, I will not confirm that and I am not going to talk about it,” he said.

He however assured Nigerians of adequate security of lives and properties before, during and after the election.

Comments