General News of Thursday, 22 January 2015
Embattled ace broadcaster Kwesi Kyei Darkwah (KKD) will return to the courtroom Thursday to continue his defence of a rape charge brought against him by a 19-year-old lady.
The Magistrate Court — where the rape charge was made — adjourned the case to today, Thursday January 22, 2015 after KKD’s lawyer Tony Forson informed the court he needed advice from the state prosecutor, ACP Atimbila, regarding how proceedings should go due to a bail application then before the human rights court.
Adwoa Akyaamaa Ofosu, the presiding judge, therefore adjourned the case to today pending the outcome of the bail application.
Joy News sources say KKD’s lawyer is expected to inform the court about a letter written by the alleged rape victim in which she cites fierce media reportage on the matter as grounds for pulling out from the case.
Today marks a week since a human rights court granted KKD bail on humanitarian grounds, after spending more than two weeks in police custody.
State prosecutors have accused KKD of forcibly having sex with Ewureffe Orleans Thompson in a hotel washroom, although he insists the act was consensual.
Even though the 19-year-old lady says she wants to discontinue the case, and the accused has also apologised to the lady publicly, state prosecutors are bent on seeking legal redress for the alleged crime.
Prosecutors had earlier questioned the authenticity of that letter purported to have been written by Ms Thompson.
Lawyer John Ndebugri told Joy News last week since rape is a criminal case and classified as a non-bailable offence, the lady at the centre of the rape case has no power to withdraw the case.
Her interest is no longer paramount but the state, he stated. Experts say Ms Thompson could even be subpoenaed to testify against KKD, despite her unwillingness to pursue the case.