The entire community of Axim in the Nzema East Municipality in the Western Region was thrown into a state of mourning on Tuesday when a leaking gas cylinder exploded killing a 60-year old man instantly.
The deceased, Kwesi Bonney popularly known as ‘Uncle Kwesi’ was hit by pieces of metal from the cylinder while sitting on a wooden bench a few metres away from the cylinder that had caught fire.
The tragic incident occurred around 17 50 hours on Tuesday, January 13, and the corpse had since been deposited at the Axim Government Hospital morgue, pending autopsy.
The Axim District Police Crime Office, Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Lawrence Gbele confirmed the incident to the Ghana News Agency on Wednesday.
He said some female students of Axim Senior High School who had rented a house at Saulo, a suburb of Axim, were using the gas cylinder for cooking when it caught fire.
He said the students brought the leaking gas cylinder outside and tried to put out the fire with sand, however it exploded and the metal pieces from the cylinder zoomed across the street and split the head of the deceased into two.
However, none of the students got injured in the blast, and police had begun investigations into the incident.
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.