Police to investigate possible arson at ECG warehouse


The police are awaiting information from the Ghana Fire service to enable investigations into the loss of $2 million worth of prepaid metres in a fire at an ECG warehouse. 

The Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG)  two weeks ago lost  25,000 metres worth $2million in a fire that razed a private warehouse housing the equipment intended for a project to replace metres in the Ashanti regional capital, Kumasi.

ECG Public Relations Manager in the region, Eramus Baidoo, told Luv FM’s Erastus Asare-Donkor that the planned replacement exercise, which was expected to begin this month, will be delayed for at most a month.

The PRO added that more of such metres are being brought in for the project and suggested that consumers may not have to pay for the metres, as ECG is likely to absorb the cost of the burnt metres.

A source has revealed that preliminary findings made by the Fire Service show that the fire started from the ceiling of the private warehouse.

A power meter to the facility was completely burnt and another partially destroyed, indicating excessive electric current passed through. An electrical circuit breaker failed and got burnt, the source said.

These findings narrow down the possible causes of the fire to an electrical fault, arson or human error.

Although ECG officials in the region say they suspect arson, the bigger question that is being raised is why the ECG decided to store up the metres in an abandoned private warehouse when it has installations across the country.

The Police is waiting for a fire service report before beginning any investigations.

Comments:
This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.

Comments