Today in history: Hearts earn double over Kotoko

On 7th January, 2007 Accra Hearts of Oak confirmed their superiority over Kumasi Asante Kotoko by beating them 3-1 in their Premier League match played at the Robert Mensah stadium in a match characterized with series of hold ups.

Before this game Hearts of Oak had defeated Kotoko 1-0 in the the first round of the 2006/07 league at the same venue in week 15 and when the second round began they met again in week 16.

The Cape Coast Stadium  hosted the first and second round games between the two sides, due the renovation which took place at both the Ohene Djan Sports Stadium, Accra and Baba Yara Sports Stadium, Kumasi to prepare them for the African Cup of Nations in 2008.

Hearts of Oak scored the opener through Eric Gawu in the 40th minute after he collected a pass from Moses Andoh and went on to beat his marker before sending the ball into a yawing net. Hearts continued to probe for more goals and it came as no surprise when Don Bortey’s shot was deflected into the net by defender John Cudjoe in the 44th minute.

Earlier in the 30th minute, referee Seidu Bomisson who handled the match, showed Kotoko’s Ahmed Toure the red card for assaulting Hearts goalkeeper Laud Quartey.

Immediately the player was sent of the field, irate supporters of Kotoko threw bagged water sachets on Hearts goal keeper, of which some supporters of Hearts of Oak retaliated and the match was held up for some minutes.

It took the peace officers about 10 minutes to bring the situation under control.

Kotoko resumed the second half strongly and in the 65th minute, substitute Kwame Obeng Darko reduced the tally to 2-1 when he out-jumped his marker to head home past keeper Quartey. Hearts again came into the picture after the Kotoko goal and it came as no surprise when substitute Alfred Nii Larbi raised his side’s goal tally to three in the 78th minute to seal the doom of Kotoko.

For more sports news visit

This article has 0 comment, leave your comment.