Soccer News of Wednesday, 7 January 2015
Ghanaian winger Christian Atsu won’t leave English side Everton in this month’s transfer window despite the lack of playing time with the Toffees.
Reports were rife that Chelsea will recall their Ghanaian winger after he returned to the Blues for treatment on a hamstring injury last month.
Atsu looked to have played his last loan game for Everton after staying with the club at the start of the season and reports had it that the Chelsea were unhappy over his little playing time at Goodison.
The west Londoners have decided whether keep him at Everton for the second half of the season – though Atsu has join up with Avram Grant’s Ghana in January for the Africa Cup of Nations.
Everton boss Roberto Martinez says Atsu will return to the club after playing for Ghana in this month’s Africa Cup of Nations.
“It always takes time to adapt to the needs of the British game and it takes time to settle in,” Everton boss Roberto Martinez said.
“Christian has been doing very well in training and he is ready now to have a big impact on the side, that’s the way I feel.
“It is disappointing that he has to go away now but, if he can play some games and get some minutes under his belt we can pick that up when he gets back.”
Martinez beat off competition from a number of clubs – including Sunderland, Newcastle and West Ham – to land the pacy wideman in August.
Chelsea wanted the 22-year-old playing regularly this season in order to return to the club with a chance of challenging for a first-team place next year.
But he has featured just nine times with only one Premier League start.