Business News of Tuesday, 6 January 2015
Ghanaian workers of MODEC Ghana Limited, who were sacked in November last year, will be reinstated, according to the Vice Chairman of the General Transport and Chemical Workers Union of Ghana.
The workers, who operate on FPSO Kwame Nkrumah at the Jubilee Oilfield in the Western region, were dismissed after embarking on a strike action to express dissatisfaction with the discrepancy between their salaries and benefits and that of expatriates and also compel the company to increase their salaries.
The dismissed workers who are being represented by the General Transport and Chemical Workers Union of Ghana, reportedly threatened a riot on the vessel if they are not reinstated shortly.
But speaking to Starr News Tuesday, Francs Sallah said the action may not be necessary as leadership of MODEC have promised to call the 27 sacked workers back onto the vessel.
“They have responded to our letter yesterday and said that the MOU we signed with them still stands,” he stated.
He also said they have been assured the foreign nationals who were brought to replace them were employed on temporary contracts.
“At the time that this issue started they had to bring in some people including foreign nationals to make sure the job continues but as it stands, they are still making preparations to ensure the guys get back on the vessel.”
MODEC Ghana Limited is an offshore facilities development and construction company that designed and constructed the FPSO Kwame Nkrumah for the Jubilee partners.
It is currently operating and maintaining the FPSO for the Jubilee partners, who purchased it in 2011. The firm also recruits locals to work on the FPSO.